Warning: The following piece is for informational purposes only, it’s not intended to be medical advice and it is not endorsed by coffeesesh.com
Whenever coffee is mentioned in a discussion, it is almost always in the context of a beverage. If not that, then it is an ingredient in a dessert, or simply as a resource in superfoods. But it rarely and rarely happens that coffee is being talked about as a remedial ingredient, especially in alternative therapy. Keeping this in mind, if you were surprised to hear about what is coffee enema or what can it do for you, then you might not be the only one.
[amazon box=”B07KZ8DM4H, B07VQPY45R, B01CMX9EZO” grid=”3″ link_id=”26491″]
First things first, let’s take a moment to understand and appreciate the fact that colon cleansing through enemas is nothing new for the human race. Far from being a modern phenomenon, the act of cleansing the large intestine through enemas has been practiced for more than a few hundred years by people all over the world. Egyptian pharaohs are particularly famous for the usage of enemas to keep their colons sparkling clean. While they talk about harmful toxins and cleansing the body from them has gained traction only in the past few years, detoxification has been a long-standing practice in the treatment of diseases such as cancer. Those benefits are exactly what coffee enema is used by its practitioners.
What Are The Benefits Of Coffee Enema?
Before you learn how to make coffee enema, it is crucial to understand that there have been no supporting modern studies for the benefits of coffee enemas besides the fact that they rid your colon of waste.
At the same time, those who have tried coffee enemas to lead a healthier life to swear by its positive effects. With that being said, these recommendations are not evidence-based or have not been verified under proper medical studies, which is why they do not make a solid case for a coffee enema.
Important: Coffee Enema Is Not A Magic Cure
No matter why you are using a coffee enema, it is essential to understand what is coffee enema capable of achieving for you as an alternative therapy, and what it can’t do despite all the talks of it being the next best thing since sliced bread.
As explained above, while enemas are known for cleansing your colon of waste, the medical benefits that are presented by different cleanse such as coffee enema remain mostly unproven. Keeping this in mind, while you can learn how to make coffee enema, it is only logical to manage expectations, so you don’t feel disappointed afterward of the enema’s effects, or a lack thereof.
With that, you also need to be wary of the potentially adverse effects of coffee enemas. Some of the most notable side effects of this colon cleanse include:
- Rectal burns.
- Perforation of intestinal walls.
- Heart failure.
- Brain abscess.
Not all side effects may present in every single user of coffee enemas. But it’s important to note that they may occur if you learn how to make coffee enema and administer it on yourself. It is also important to note that there have been at least two deaths resulting from coffee enema.
With that being said, if you understand the risks and completely appreciate what is coffee enema capable of doing to your body. You can go ahead and do it for yourself.
How To Make a Coffee Enema
Thankfully, doing a coffee enema is not much different than doing a usual enema. The equipment and process largely remain the same. But what differs is the recipe for the enema solution that you would make for this particular colon cleanse. To do a coffee enema, you need an enema kit.
An enema kit consists of the following:
- Enema bag. This is a particular container that will hold the solution you are using in your enema. Most typically, it looks like a water bottle.
- Enema tube. This tube connects to the bag at one end, and a nozzle at the other. This helps you administer your enema easily.
- Enema nozzle. The nozzle is the most intimidating yet the most essential part of an enema kit. You need to insert it into your rectum to administer the enema. Make sure you use a personal, preferably water-based lubricant before doing so. This would keep discomfort at a minimal level.
Once you have the kit out of the way, you will need to prepare the solution for your coffee enema. The best part here is that this solution is simply a coffee brew, which you can make easily.
Steps to follow while making a coffee enema:
- Add two tablespoons of ground, dry coffee to 1-liter distilled water.
- Brew the mixture as you would for a standard coffee drink. You can do it in a usual coffee maker, but make sure no sugar contaminates the mixture.
- Pour the brew out and let it cool to room temperature. Make sure there are no coffee grounds in it.
- Transfer the brew to your enema bag and secure it with the tube and nozzle. Once again, it is crucial to ensure that there are no coffee grounds left in the brew.
- Prepare the place where you would take the enema. This could be your bed or a floor in your bedroom or bathroom. Just make sure you are using some towels for sanitary purposes.
- Lie down on your back and use a personal lubricant on the nozzle of your enema kit. Make sure that the tube attaches to the bag.
- Transfer the coffee brew into your rectum slowly and carefully. Do not force yourself to take in the entire coffee enema. It’s okay to leave some solution.
- Keep laying down for 10-15 minutes. Afterward, move to a toilet to discharge the enema. You might need to use the bathroom a few times to let the entire contents out and flush your rectum of waste.
By following these steps, you will be able to reap the proposed benefits that are promised by a coffee enema. But as stated earlier, you must take the enema only after understanding what coffee enema is able to do for you, and which side effects you need to avoid at all costs. If you notice any symptoms of burns, extended nausea, acidity or dizziness, contact a medical professional immediately.
Read more: Coffee for People Who Don’t Like Coffee
As long as you keep this information in mind, you should be able to try a coffee enema safely. For all you know, it might work wonders for you, and you could join the long list of people who are big fans of this alternative therapy.
We’ll brew ya later!